Around the beginning of 2012, I was in a pretty good habit of cooking dinner, or at least eating in with some variation of leftovers, every night. But lately, a few different things have happened to knock me off course—starting a new job, for one—and living with a picky husband. I hated spending dinner time separated from Sam, although we’ve also gone down the tricky road of me-cooking-and-Sam-not-liking-the-food, which is no fun for anyone.
So I started going out for dinner with Sam only on the weekends, and then a couple nights a week, and that has morphed into eating out every single night. Occasionally we’ll eat some leftovers, and we usually make lunch at home on the weekends, but otherwise it’s eating out all the time. It’s a lot more convenient, and we can afford it, but I’d still like to go back to cooking at least a few nights a week again. I made a batch of my favorite Potato Chowder last weekend, so I have individual portions in the freezer for a few nights.
It’s common knowledge that I love to make lists… and whether or not they’ll ever be checked off completely, I can’t help but make list after list. In real life, and on this blog too, of course! I recently blogged about my To-Craft list, although to be accurate it’s more of an aspirational list, not a list of projects I actually expect to accomplish.
This list is along those lines too. Even though I’m tired after work, it’s really not too hard to throw together a meal if I’m prepared, and it’s bound to be healthier than eating out all the time. So, what’s stopping me? Motivation! I just have no motivation, other than feeling like I should do it. I’m tired of baked chicken and I’m tired of fish.
So, another aspirational list is in order. Below are some of the recipes I’ve seen on blogs, on Pinterest, or in cookbooks that maybe will inspire me to cook up a dinner sometime soon. If I do, I’ll let you know how it goes!
- Freezer meals… I’ve pretty much depleted my stock of ready-to-go frozen dinners. Maybe it’s time to try something new, so I’ll be excited to heat it up! There are a million of these on Pinterest, but the following two looked the best to me.
- Baked Coconut Honey Shrimp… super easy and I love the flavor of coconut shrimp!
Source: Undressed Skeleton
- Oven Roasted Pork Tenderloin. Ever since I saw this, I’ve been craving pork!
Source: Plain Chicken
- Lasagna roll-ups… single servings, so you can freeze a batch and heat them up individually. Even the lasagna you buy from the freezer aisle take over an hour to bake… this would be quick and easy. Genius!
Source: Cooking Classy
- Salmon in a bag. Looks super simple, and maybe a new flavor would jazz it up a bit, since I’m burnt out on fish?
Source: The Devil’s Punchbowl
- Quiche… OK this is my Mom’s recipe, but I’ve been thinking about making some lately. Actually… I should take a look at my Recipes tab and see if I’ve forgotten anything good…
Source: My Mama’s Quiche
- “Just Carrots” Carrot cake… this is not dinner food, I know, but for the past few months I’ve wanted to make carrot cake for some reason. Might as well add it to the list!
Source: Mary Mary Quite Contrary
Not a long list, but hopefully I’ll get excited some time soon and actually make something for dinner!
Any dinner suggestions are welcome!