After reading a string of really great books, I started thinking about what would make it to my Top Ten List… you know, the Top Ten of my most favorite, most meaningful, most enjoyable books… so I decided to make that list. Which books have made the most impact on my reading life, that I turn to for solace time and again? For an extra dose of accuracy, I decided to get the titles entirely from the Reading Log that I’ve kept since 2009 – which effectively culls the titles that exist in shadowy memory, fondly remembered but not actually read in recent history.
So here’s my extremely scientific way to go about compiling this list:
- I wrote a list of all the books with A+ grades into one list (60 total). Books that garnered an A+ more than once got a star.
- I put stars by my favorites (21 total)
- I culled the list again (13 remaining)
- Then I rearranged the list until I was satisfied with only ten (It was hard!)
So it’s not a totally fail-proof process, but hey, it’s my list after all – totally biased, personal, and just the way I like it! But it could always change… I’m thinking I’ll periodically update my Top Ten List. So The List gets its very own new page under the Book Chat tab!
(Links to my Reading Logs when available, if you care to read about my thoughts on each book – gotta get back on those Lost Reading Logs to update my archives!) And now, without further ado:
My Top Ten Favorite Books
1. The Blue Castle, by L.M. Montgomery
6. Dear Enemy, by Jean Webster
7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, by J.K. Rowling (#3)
10. The Diamond in the Window, by Jane Langton
This list is a little surprising to me actually, but it was a fun exercise. And I think the list represents my past and current reading preferences – a mix of classic, contemporary, young adult fiction, and children’s literature. And although the majority are favorites that I’ve read and re-read for years, there are a few that I’ve only discovered in the past year – how exciting is that? It’s always fun to think that my next favorite book could be right around the corner.
What’s on your Top Ten List?