Another finish from the WIP pile… woohoo! Remember this quilt top? It was one of my very first projects in 2011 when I first started blogging. I hadn’t quite yet found the online quilting community, but I found this fractured nine patch pattern online and was determined to make a quilt all by myself.
I was so proud of my completed top… but I had no idea how to go about quilting and finishing it. So it sat in a pile for a couple years and moved across the country with us. A few weeks ago JoAnn’s had a fabric sale so I decided to stock up on batting and fabric for quilt backs to finally work through my WIP pile. When I pulled this one out, I have to admit I was pretty pleased with my past self for such flat seams! I barely had to iron it at all.
I quilted a cross hatch following the pattern – simple and easy straight line quilting. One of these days I’ll get more creative with my quilting, but not this go around. One step at a time… I’m just glad this is finally a finished quilt after so many years!
I banged out this finish in record time one afternoon, when I was on a roll after finishing up my Flying North quilt. It made me reflect on how much more confident I am when it comes to quilting now! I read a lot of fantastic quilt blogs, which is great for inspiration, but sometimes it also makes me feel like I have so, so much to learn and improve. But compared to a few years ago, I’ve made a lot of progress!
I knew what materials to use and had them all on hand, basted it in about 15 minutes, came up with a (very simple) quilting plan pretty quickly, quilted with no snags or machine problems in about an hour, and finished up the binding that same afternoon (thank you, bias binding tape!). It probably would’ve taken me many days to do the same steps a few years ago because I second guessed every single step along the way, but now I’m pretty comfortable with finishing up a small quilt in an afternoon. So, three cheers for progress!
I used my new favorite pre-made double fold binding in red to finish it up. I didn’t really have a name for it at first, but it became “Fractured Fish” as a nod to the fractured nine patch block and the Odesea fabric line I used. So happy to have another completed quilt… it earned a top spot on the ladder!
I’m linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish Friday!