I finished up two more mini quilts over the weekend. I used to wonder what the point of mini quilts were, but as I keep making them I’ve been having a lot of fun trying out new techniques without the commitment of a full-size quilt. Plus, they’re so cute! The wall-o-minis in the guest room is slowly filling up, piece by piece.
These two latest finishes both showcase new-to-me skills that I learned via guild workshops over the last couple months: English Paper Piecing, Improv Curves, and Perfect Binding.
English Paper Piecing – Modern Hexi Mini Quilt
I’ve made hexis before, but this time I learned how to use fusible glue to attach the hexis to background fabric in a modern layout, instead of attaching them in rows. It’s really pretty simple… although I don’t remember our teacher Stefanie getting glue all over her hands like I did, ha!
I shared the top a couple weeks back, but I finally had time to quilt it. I used a Hera Marker and a ruler to make lines for quilting… wow! It seems so very simple, but this little tool was seriously a game changer! I’ve always just “eye balled” the quilting because I was too lazy to get out the painter’s tape and too scared of fabric markers leaving residue… and my “straight” quilting has definitely suffered. But the Hera Marker makes it super easy to leave a line to follow that will gradually disappear… and there’s no mess at all!
The quilting is still not perfect (please don’t look too closely) but I like how this one turned out. I’ve always liked the red-and-aqua color combination but never felt the need to make an entire quilt with those colors.. so I got to scratch that itch and add a pop of color.
Here’s the “traditional” hexi mug rug that I finished a couple weekends ago.
At the April MCMQG meeting this past weekend we had a two-fer workshop – Improv Curves taught by Jayne (AKA Twiggy and Opal) and Perfect Binding taught by Stefanie (Owner of Cotton Bliss). They are both awesome artists who make fabulous quilts!
I really enjoyed learning how to do the curves… my mind was just about blown at first, as I could not for the life of me figure out how the pieces would fit together… but Jayne told me to trust that it would work… and lo and behold, it did!
I went for a “beachy” vibe with the color palette but just pieced together whatever strips I wanted to add next and didn’t really have a plan or try to make a scene… I guess that’s why they call it Improv. But I’m already thinking of how cool a sunset, beach, or other landscape could look with the right colors and placement. We were aiming for a 13″x18″ placemat, but by the time we were supposed to start binding, I only had this little bit done… about 12″x5″. Too big to be a mug rug, too small to be anything else… but perfectly sized to fill a hole in the wall-o-minis, of course. I quickly quilted my sandwich and then moved onto Stefanie’s binding tricks and tips. I’m pretty proud of those mitered corners!
Two more minis for the wall… I spent a little extra time sprucing it up over the weekend, so I’ll share some pics tomorrow. I’m linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish Friday!