So excited to share a finish today… it’s been a while! It all started in April when I made 24 Low Volume Plus blocks for the swap hosted by Lindsay Sews.
It was the first swap I’ve ever participated in… big thanks to Lindsay for hosting and organizing everything!
When I sent my blocks off, I put in a request to receive blocks in warm colors. Reds, oranges, and yellows aren’t my usual range of colors so I thought it would be fun to receive something different… and perfect for summer and fall!
In June I received my swap blocks… so many beautiful pluses! The best part was discovering all the great scraps and getting to see each one up close and personal during the quilting process.
Low Volume Plus Swap Quilt
Finished Size: 54″ square
I loved the variety of the scraps, especially the low volume prints. Sewing them together was a fun chance to get a close look at every single one.
I tried a couple different layouts, before settling on an ombre effect with yellow in the top corner, progressing into orange and red in the bottom corner. I made two extra blocks so I could arrange the rows five by five, with one left over for the back. The quilt top came together so quickly since most of the work was already done for me!
I’m still obsessed with QAYG… it just makes quilting so much more manageable, especially since this turned out to be slightly bigger than I usually attempt to quilt on my little basic machine. You know the drill – straight line quilting grid, then sew blocks together into rows, then sew rows together, then basting, quilting the backing, and binding.
For the backing, I found a bright red print and added a strip of Anna Maria Horner’s cross stitch print (from my recent Craft South visit!) with my orphan block. And of course a label to commemorate the swap!
Hubby helped take some pics outside… who knows, it might be the last photo shoot at this apartment before our move!
Ironically, I was planning all along to hang this one over the couch in the living room, but didn’t bother measuring the final size and it ended up too big… oops! Maybe in the next house I’ll hang the rod a bit higher…. or measure first, ha!
I think this is also the first finish that I’ve shared in bits and pieces along the way during WIP Wednesday posts… so you’ve probably seen some of these pics before, especially if you follow me on Instagram too. Such a fun quilt and I’m so happy with how it turned out!
I’m linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish Friday!