- 1 can (about 2 cups) black beans, drained
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1 large egg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Vegetalbe oil, for the pan
4 slices cheese (PW suggests Swiss, but I had cheddar on hand)
- 4 burger buns
- Optional: Mayo, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, and mayo/hot sauce mixture for topping
2. Make the burger mixture: Mix the breadcrumbs, grated onion, egg and some salt and pepper into the beans. Add a splash of water if the mixture looks dry. Set aside for 5 minutes. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil.
3. Form the patties: Divide the bean mixture into 4 equal balls and form into 4 patties. (Per PW, black bean burgers don’t shrink when they cook, so whatever size you make them when they go into the skillet will be the size they are when they come out.)
4. Cook the burgers: Brown the burgers in the skillet, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Add a slice of cheese to the top of each burger. PW suggests inverting a second skillet on top of the first skillet, but I only have one big skillet so I used some foil instead. Continue cooking, for about 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted.