Happy New Year!
This is probably the last opportunity I have to sprinkle in some pictures from our Christmas card photo shoot, so I’m taking full advantage! All photographs are courtesy of Ashley Wilfong Photography (who I highly recommend!!).
At the beginning of every year I usually make a few resolutions, and then I get to write an annual post where I laugh at my past self… here we are again!
Last year was the second year that I decided to go with a single word for the year instead of specific resolutions, and it’s still working for me. Even if it didn’t affect every single moment of my life, I kept my word Savor in mind a lot, and at least I remember it at the end of the year (unlike most resolutions)!
My word for 2018: Grow.
I can’t resist add a few thoughts/goals/intentions to go along with my word for 2018:
- Grow with Amelia. I’ll set the bar low at keeping her alive, ha! But beyond that, I want to focus on Amelia’s growth from baby to toddler to child, and my growth as a mother alongside her. One specific goal I have is to put my phone down while we’re together, even if it means less photos and more moments of boredom. I don’t want to miss out on the growth that happens in the small, sometimes tedious, daily moments of life.
- Grow my reading life. I want to make reading a priority again. Again, I need to put my phone down more often to do so. I love that Modern Mrs. Darcy’s 2018 Reading Challenge includes a bookmark to help track daily reading, as well as a phone lock screen that says: I’d Rather be Reading. Such a good reminder to open a book (or the Kindle app) instead of social media.
- Grow friendships. It took me a long while to get into the social aspect of the SAHM life, but once I connected with a few local mothers and met more through play dates, it’s made a world of difference in my daily happiness. It’s great for the babies to socialize, but it’s even better to have a few moments of conversation with other women going through the same phase of life. I really want to grow these friendships and meet more people in my neighborhood.
- Grow my business. Lady Katie Stitchery is a (very) small side business, but I’m having a lot of fun with it, and I hope it continues to grow! This year I want to make new products, learn more about marketing, and mostly focus on being consistent.
And now let’s look back at my word for 2017: Savor.
In many ways, 2017 felt like a chaotic and disheartening time when it came to national and world events, but my personal life was much more insular and cozy. When I think of the world Savor, I mostly connect it to my new role as a mother, and as a reminder to enjoy this fleeting time of life at home with Amelia as much as possible. But looking back at the words I wrote at the beginning of 2017 reminds me of all the other ways Savor related to this year of my life. For all the ups and downs, it was a good year for me personally.
- Savor this fleeting season of babyhood, with all its ups and downs
- Savor the freedom I have to decide what comes next. I’m at a crossroads career-wise but hopefully I can use this time at home as an opportunity.
- Savor what I have. Without my income, frugal is the name of the game. I’ve been trying to spend as little as possible on non-essentials… that means more cooking, a minimalist wardrobe, and more trips to the library!
- Savor alone time. It’s hard to come by these days, but any chance I have to blog, walk, write, cross stitch, read, or sew is a chance to remind myself that I’m still me, no matter what else changes.
Are you making resolutions this year? Whether you are or not, I hope 2018 brings you peace and light. Cheers to the new year!